Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Street Art

I'm a big fan of street art. When we travel I love to stop and check out the local artists who sell in the parks or in small local stores. While I don't usually splurge on pricey originals, If I can, I do like to by something from them. For example, the artist featured above (Martin Machacek) was selling large, limited edition prints on the streets of Victoria, British Columbia. He was also selling postcards...this fit my budget and my carry on luggage much better. I asked if he would mind signing them- he was happy to, and voila! ...the perfect keepsake from our trip.

The print above was purchased at the top of the Eiffel Tower, although it's just a mass produced print it reminds me of the moment we were there.

This one is just a locally printed greeting card sold in a street booth, but again, it holds the memory of our trip.

Photography is also fun to buy. It's often reasonably priced, and if the artist is the one selling it don't be afraid to get it signed. (The little old man who took these was happy to sign them for me.) It's just a small detail, but I think it adds a bit of charm and authenticity to the piece.
The things you hang on your walls should make you happy, they should remind you of the people, places, and things you love, and they shouldn't have to break the bank.


No comments:

Archive