Friday, June 29, 2012

Beach Sign

I wanted some new art for Emily's room to go with our new "Coastal" theme. I had this square cabinet door in her room already (with another painting on it) so I decided to give it a bit of an update.
I wanted it to have the appearance of a vintage beach sign. Here's how I did it.

First I repainted the door itself, the boarder in a off white, and the inside panel beige.
I cut out a paper stencil with the words, the arrow, and the crab, with my Silhouette Cameo.

I used the inside of the stencils to figure out my layout, and play around with positioning. Then I taped down the stencils and used a brush to fill them in. 


  Then came the fun part. I took my electric sander to it, and sanded off quite a bit of the paint.
In some areas it revealed the previous green paint color,
and in some areas I took it all the way down to the wood.
Then I mixed up a bit of brown glaze, and wiped it over the door to age it even more.
Ta-da! A "vintage" beach sign.
Stay tuned to see it in the finished room.

1 comment:

F Montierth said...

Beautiful! Loved the weathered look. Can I sit in your room Emily anytime I'm in desperate need of a coastal vacation like feel?

Archive