Monday, September 24, 2012

Real Belgian Waffles

After eating the most amazing waffles in Belgium last year, I've wanted to try to recreate them here at home.
Now, these aren't like regular waffles, they're like nothing I've ever had. The secret ingredient? Belgian Pearl Sugar. Little balls of sugary goodness that crystallize and form a sugary crust on the waffles.

Can you see that sugary goodness? They sell these at little open air stands throughout the city, and they're eaten as a snack, as opposed to a breakfast food.

I snapped a picture of the dough they use for the waffles. It's definitely more dense then our traditional waffle batter.

I've found a recipe that looks pretty authentic, It uses a ball of dough instead of a thin batter. And, thanks to Amazon, I've got some of the pearl sugar.

This may be the weekend that I try to make them. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

The Barb Chronicles said...

If they turn out, let me know! I will want the recipe :)

Archive