Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Clock in Progress

 You may remember the big grandfather clock I scored at a yard sale a week or two ago.
My plan?  Paint it and turn it into a cool bookcase.
 
The first step was taking out the pendulum mechanism, simple enough. I also removed the door to make it easier to work with.
 I measured and marked where I wanted the shelves to go.

 
 Lee and Joshua cut the two shelves from some poplar boards. There was a bit of sanding to get the right angle on the edges, since the clock narrows toward the top.

We counter sunk the screws on the sides of the clock, puttied the holes, and primed it for paint.

Now for the fun part. Paint! I chose this orange color-Butterscotch, by Martha Stewart. After two coats of primer and two coats of paint I stood back and looked at it........and hated it.
Okay, "hated it" may be too strong a statement. But it's just not right. I'm living with it for now, but I'm dying to repaint it as soon as I've got some free time.
 
As much painting as I do, I still get it wrong sometimes. Oh well, it's just paint.

1 comment:

tami said...

Can't wait to see the finished project! I am slightly obsessed with clocks and would love to know who makes this particular clock...any ideas? Thanks Shannon, love following your blog!

Tami:)

Archive