Monday, September 8, 2014

DIY Chalkboard Map

You know I'm a sucker for a good DIY project. Well....after seeing a USA chalkboard like this at a friends wedding reception, I knew it would be super easy to make a version for myself.
 
 
I wish I'd taken a better picture of the "before", but I found an old Michael Jackson poster printed on Masonite in a black frame at a thrift store for ten bucks. It was the right shape and size, and the frame and surface was perfect for painting over. I sanded it down a bit, and then did 3 good coats of chalkboard paint on it.

I used an opaque projector and a white pencil to draw the map, and then a small brush with white acrylic to paint over the lines. I then sanded the paint a little to make it look more like real chalk, and "chalked" the board to make it more authentic as well.

The map is permanent, but there's room around the edges to draw with real chalk depending on the occasion.


I'm not sure where I'm going to hang it, but I sure do love it!

No comments:

Archive